You may worry whether your mom or dad is eating properly. It is common that appetites decrease as our parent’s age and the less active they are the conscious need for food may not seem important. Over the years, your mom and dad prepared breakfast for you and your siblings before you went to school or before they went to work. In fact, senior home care service experts in the Dayton and Mason, OH area share they may have prepared lunches and began dinner before everyone left the house early in the morning. However, that was then and now times have changed.
Now, mom or dad is living alone. Even if mom and dad are still together, it is just the two of them, and meal prep is just not the same. In fact, over their years, their taste as well as appetites have changed and not only are they eating less but poorly. Senior home care service may provide assistance to reduce your worries while helping your parent(s) maintain their nutritional health with meal planning as well as meal preparation.
Some suggestions start with breakfast:
- Oatmeal with berries or bananas. Oatmeal can be prepared as instant or overnight in a crockpot. Both are safe easy to make.
- Hard-boiled egg with a slice of fruit. Eggs can be cooked in advance and fruit sliced.
- Power toast is easy using whole wheat or whole grain bread with peanut butter, or almond butter.
Lunch ideas can easy and interesting as well:
- Salad with a variety of greens and beans for protein and calcium. Use a light lemon juice or mild salad dressing to reduce sugar and sodium that can be harmful.
- Scrambled eggs and red potatoes season with herbs rather than salt and pepper to avoid water retention.
- Lean chicken shredded with lettuce in a wrap provides a filling sandwich.
Dinner should feel special:
- Baked or grilled salmon using olive oil and herbs for seasoning, too keep moist cook in foil. Serve with a small side green salad or baked potato.
- Beans and rice make a nice small evening meal.
- Shrimp and pasta in a light olive oil and garlic sauce will add a culinary delight.
- Turkey or chicken burgers are an excellent option as well.
If you are concerned your senior loved one is not eating properly, senior home care service can help by preparing healthy, nutritious meals that will boost their strength and energy.